Ramy Romany, known for his work on the television program “Mummy Unraveled,” recently entered an untouched tomb that had remained undisturbed for 600 years. Hours after returning to Cairo, he began feeling unwell, and the following day he woke up with a high fever of 42°C and worsening symptoms.
Doctors administered antibiotics, suspecting an infection from dust or animal contact. It took him four more days to fully recover.
Romany described it as “the closest he had ever come to death.”
While he does believe in the so-called “curse of the mummy,” Romany believes the mysterious illness was likely caused by a buildup of mold in the ancient tomb rather than something supernatural.
He mentioned that the tomb contained living organic material, and opening it for the first time and going inside was “unhealthy.”
It is worth noting that there have been reports of strange occurrences related to the opening of Tutankhamun’s tomb in Luxor. In 1923, over 20 individuals died under mysterious circumstances, including six people from London.
Legend has it that Lord Carnarvon, who was present during the tomb’s opening, died shortly afterward, coinciding with a brief power outage that plunged all of Cairo into darkness.
His son reported that his favorite dog suddenly howled and died at their estate in England.
The fervent public attributed these events to the “curse of Tutankhamun” and speculated about the supernatural powers of ancient Egyptians.
In 2002, a study analyzed the deaths that occurred between 1923 and 1926 in relation to the opening of Tutankhamun’s tomb.
Researchers observed the survival rates of 25 individuals following their potential exposure dates.
They found no significant increase in mortality among those involved in the excavation of the ancient tomb, dispelling the myth of the curse.
In fact, Lord Carnarvon died five months after his initial entry into the tomb, without experiencing any symptoms. This led some scientists to believe that his death was unrelated to his archaeological work.
However, in 2003, two London doctors wrote a letter to The Lancet, explaining that he may have been infected after inhaling spores of the fungus Aspergillus.
This fungus has also been found on other ancient artifacts, including the mummy of Ramses II.
When Aspergillus fungus invades the human body, it can cause a condition called “aspergillosis” that primarily affects the lungs. There, the fungus can grow into a tennis ball-sized mass, which can be extremely difficult to eradicate.
The infection can progress into invasive aspergillosis, spreading to the skin, brain, heart, or kidneys.
Doctors suggest that Lord Carnarvon may have inhaled dormant spores present in the dust, which later became activated, and his previous chest infection made him more susceptible to infection.
While his cause of death was officially recorded as pneumonia, the symptoms align with those of aspergillosis, leaving open the possibility that this was indeed the true “curse.”